Last night, Mare and I made a delicious margherita-style pizza.
- pizza dough
- about ¼ cup of pesto sauce
- 4 Roma tomatoes, sliced about ¼? thick
- 1 8-oz. can of mushrooms, drained
- 1 12-oz. package of fresh mozzarella, sliced into medallions
- about 5 tbsp of Parmesan cheese
- about ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 450°.
- Pour the extra virgin olive oil on a baking sheet and spread it evenly with a cooking brush.
- Stretch the pizza dough on a baking sheet.
- Spread the pesto sauce evenly on the pizza dough.
- Evenly place the Roma tomotoes on top of the pesto sauce.
- Sprinkle about half of the Parmesan cheese on the tomatoes. This helps absorb moisture and keeps the pizza from getting really soggy.
- Evenly place the mushrooms on top of the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle the rest of the Parmesan cheese on top of the mushrooms.
- Evenly place the mozzarella on top of the mushrooms.
The pie should look like this:
Next, place the pie in the oven and bake until the edges are golden brown. Baking time can range anywhere from 9-12 minutes depending on how well done you like your pizza. This window of time is short, so be careful and keep a close eye on your pie every minute otherwise you can easily burn it.
Remove the pizza from the oven and allow it to sit for around five minutes before cutting and serving.
Your marvelous creation should look something like this:
(Please excuse the blurry picture. After a long day of work followed by time in the kitchen, one can have difficulty holding a camera still after all is done.)